On the 3rd of May, at 7.00 a.m, I reached Grace Assembly to go for the AR Firecraft Camp. We travelled by van to the Broga Campsite located in Broga, Negeri Sembilan. In my van, throughout the 1 hour ride, there were 3 exceptionally chatty girls.
When we finally reached, we rested for a while. After that, we did some theory of our Firecraft Merit. Later, we sharpened our penknives and were assigned to our dorms. We talked while we waited for lunch...
Lunch was the first meal we had to cook for ourselves over an A-Frame fire. We were given maggi mee, eggs and cabbage. My buddy and I cooked the maggi mee and eggs but not the cabbage out of pure laziness. I lit the lunch fire with 2 matches... sad...
Maybe, you are thinking that starting a fire with 2 matches is good, but the commanders had a higher expectation of us. They wanted us to do it with 1 match or they would not pass us. The test was to be held on the next day.
After lunch, we rested and then did more theory. We also learned how to use metal matches.
A metal match is a reusable match. It is a stick of part magnesium and part flint. First, you scrape some magnesium off with your penknife and then, you strike the flint which will produce sparks to light the magnesium which will light the fire. A metal match can be used to start about 2000 fires.
After that, we washed up and then prepared a barbeque for our parents. Yes, we had to cook for our parents... those who came. My dad and mum came.
The barbeque went well; the chicken was well marinated and the lamb was delicious. There was also pasta and salad. The sweet potatoes got over burnt though.
After dinner, our parents left. We then took a few photos and then played... WAR GAMES!
Sadly, the war games lasted only 15 minutes... after which we had to wash up and sleep.
The next morning, we made an A-Frame fire to cook breakfast. This time, even with 2 matches, I couldn't light the fire. I had to use another ranger's fire.
We had more theory and then we were given another try to start a fire with 1 match. After I had gotten everything ready, Commander Terence handed me a big box of matches. I opened it and... there was only 1 match inside. Can you imagine how freaky that was! I finally succeeded in starting a fire with only 1 match which lasted more than 3 minutes and the commanders signed my papers. After that, we packed up and left for home...
I have definitely learned a lot about fire in this Camp. I also grew spiritually because of the interesting devotions that the commanders shared. All in all, I this Camp was very good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment